Pages

Tuesday 8 June 2010

Meresands Wood

After leaving Marshside time was on my side so I decided to call in at Meresands Wood

http://www.lancswt.org.uk/Our%20Reserves/mere_sands_wood.htm

in the hope of seeing some Kingfishers. Not in luck today, I hotfooted across the reserve to the Rufford Hide where I have seen them from on previous visits, and barring a quick glimpse of one flying past, none settled within range to photograph. But i was treated to some great views of a couple of Jays, and on the way back across the reserve witnessed a Great Spotted Woodpecker feeding its young, so the visit wasnt wasted!!

A fine display by a couple of Jays right outside the hide.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Walking through the wood i could hear a strange calling, and what sounded like a Woodpecker calling in the canopy. Looking around the trees I found the source of the strange call, it was a juvenile Great Spotted Woodpecker calling from its hole in a dead tree, the parent was obviously waiting for me to pass by before coming down to feed it. I hid myself behind a tree and was treated to watching the feeding.

Wheres my food????

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'm just waiting for him to go!!!

Photobucket

I'm coming!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

From a different angle, revealed this bird has been caught and rung.

Photobucket

All the boxes in the wood seemed to be occupied by Blue Tits busily back and forth feeding.

Photobucket

I am now looking forward to later in the month when I am off to The Bass Rock, hopefully on a nice sunny calm day, and lots of Gannets.

2 comments:

  1. Great images Gary - off to Bass Rock I see, if you get the right conditions you will have an unforgettable experience, going for my second visit in July, best of luck Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely fantastic!! I keep promising myself a visit to Meresands wood but never quite make it. Jen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by, any comments you may have are greatly appreciated.
Gary